YOU WILL NEED
- 3 white pipe cleaners
- Glass jar, about 500 ml
- How water
- Pencil or chopsticks
- Food colouring (optional)
- Stir stick or spoon
JUST LIKE PLANTS, YOU CAN GROW YOUR OWN CRYSTALS. THIS PROJECT IS SIMPLE AND SAFE. AND IT’S A GREAT WAY TO LEARN ABOUT CRYSTALS WHILE MAKING A SUPER GIFT OR ORNAMENT.
- Cut a white pipe cleaner into three equal pieces.
- Twist the three pieces around each other at the centre to make a 6-point snowflake shape. The snowflake should easily fit in the jar.
- Cut a piece of string 20-25 cm long.
- Tie the string to on end of the snowflake. Tie the other end to the centre of a pencil or chopstick. Wind the string around the pencil until you have only 3-4 cm left.
- Fill the jar with boiling water. Be safe! Ask an adult to help you.
- Add 6 tablespoons of Borax to the boiling water, one at a time. Stir to dissolve the Borax in water. (It’s okay if not all the Borax dissolves).
- This is the time to add 2-4 drops of food colouring if you want coloured crystal snowflakes. Red or Blue work best! Try different colouring or no colouring for varying results.
- Lower the snowflake in the solution, unwinding the string around the pencil until the snowflake is suspended in the solution. It should not touch the bottom or sides of the jar.
- Put the jar in a quiet place where it won’t be moved and leave it overnight. In the morning you will have a beautiful crystal-filled snowflake!