In honour of Hanukkah, here’s a pattern to make a paper dreidel at home!
To make the dreidel, you will need:
- the template (below)
- a pair of scissors
- a bit of glue or tape
- a pencil or stick to put in the centre of the dreidel
Make the Dreidel:
- Cut out the template.
- Fold along all lines to shape the dreidel.
- Glue down the flaps.
- Insert the stick or pencil into the centre of the dreidel
To play the dreidel game you will need:
- the dreidel
- 10 candies per player
Each player puts one candy into the centre. The player who wins all of the candies is the winner!
- If the top falls on the symbol Shin, the player must put two of their candies in the centre.
- If the top falls on the symbol Gimel, the player takes all the candies that are in the centre and each player must return a candy for the next round.
- If the top falls on the symbol Hay, the player takes half of the candies that are in the middle. If there are an odd number of them, the player takes an odd number of candies. For example, if there are 5 left, he takes 3. If there is only one candy left in the middle after it has been used, all players must put one candy back in the centre for the next round.
- If the top falls on the symbol Nun, the player must does nothing.
Use this template to create your dreidel:
WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE: