Fur, Fat and Air: Insulators Experiment
You will need:
- margarine or shortening
- ice water
- plastic bag or plastic wrap (to fit a hand in)
- paper towel
- a large container (to fit a hand in)
- insulating materials such as cotton balls, foil, fleece, wool sock, fake fur
- Put enough ice water in the large container to fully immerse your finger in it.
- Wrap your finger in an insulating material. Dip it in! Test all of your insulating materials. Which one works best?
- Now test the insulating properties of air. Squeeze your finger into a deflated balloon. Squeeze a straw in next to your finger and blow air into the balloon. Dip it in! Does it feel cold?
- Test the insulating properties of fat. Put a thick coat of margarine or shortening around your finger. Dip it in! How does that feel in comparison?